Cold days and Hot tears

When I stepped out of my house on Friday morning, my biggest concern was having to deal with the wind, and praying it doesn't rain. Regardless, I was a happy camper and all was right with the world. When I stepped back into my house later that afternoon, I was barely holding it together. With one phone call, my life turned upside down and it was all I could do to not breakdown in public. 

My mum hadn't been feeling good all week, and today it got worse. I'll save you the details, but when I heard how weak she sounded on the phone, I panicked and ran out of Portland building. She was all alone at home, and my mind kept coming up with horrible things that could happen. I felt completely helpless. Here I was, a thousand miles from home, while my mother lay sick in bed. What the hell could I do? I contacted just about everyone I could think of to help, and by the time I was done, my dad was preparing to fly back home and my mum's friend was going to check on her. I wanted to catch the next train back home, but had to wait a day to purchase one. 

All the time this was happening, all I wanted to do was curl into a ball and cry. I wanted to talk to my best friends so bad, but the wretched time zone put them beyond my reach. I figured that my one friend would be asleep, while the other had issues of his own that he was struggling with. Never have I felt so much, how lonely I am here at uni. 

As soon as I locked my bedroom door, I went on my knees and wept my heart out to Jehovah. I was fully prepared to give my life in exchange for hers. For the next hour, all I did was cry and pray intermittently. Words fell out of my mouth in a mixed gibberish of English and Igbo. At a point, all I could say was 'please', over and over again. After a while, I felt able to pick myself off the floor and call my mum to check on her. Every hour, I would call her just to hear her voice and make sure she was still there.

I am so thankful for the love that my bestfriends showed me today. I'm not quite sure how I would have made it if they weren't there. When I collapsed from exhaustion on my bed, Nana K (my bestfriend), called me on Skype and stayed with me for as long as he could. When we first started talking, I was close to tears. But somehow, he managed to get me laughing and take my mind off my problems. Even though he's also going through so much right now, he put my needs ahead of his. If that's not love, I don't know what is. When I started getting sleepy, he stopped talking and let me fall asleep. For almost five hours, he left the call on and would check on me every now and then. He was totally there for me today, and I just want to say thank you.
My other bestfriend (Makafui), is a total angel. She didn't let me wallow in misery, but even now as I write this post, she's chatting with me and keeping my spirit up. I love you both so much. 

I've got an early coach to catch, but I find that I'm too anxious to sleep. I can't wait to go home and actually ascertain for myself how my mum's doing. She means the world to me, and within the last few years, she's become my bestfriend. I'm not sure I could ever handle anything happening to her.    

Comments

  1. This is beautiful :) I pray God gives you strength during these hard times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've got a crush on you

Random thought 6... more like impulsive action.

I keep on Falling